Thursday 9 April 2015

Shan Mutton Korma

Shan Mutton Korma




The magic of masalas, fresh and pure, ground to perfection! That is Shan masala for me. Hearing from friends who have used Shan masalas I too decided one day to try it out. The one dish I have been trying to perfect is the Mutton korma. Sure mine turn out really well but I still feel I am missing that something elusive, something that would want me to keep coming back for more.

The recipe given at the back of the packet is really simple and I was sceptical. Just use onion, ginger and yogurt from your pantry. Isn’t Mutton korma a very fragrant dish with lots of spices and aroma? 

What I didn’t realise was that the Korma masala took care of all the interplay of spices.

After using that first sample of Shan masala I have as of now a stock of 15 kinds of spices and I intend to use them one by one. Yes, they are that good!

Ingredients

1 kg mutton
3 onions, sliced fine
1 ½ cup yogurt, whipped
2 tbsp ginger juliennes
1 cup ghee
1 packet Shan Korma mix

Wash and dab the mutton pieces dry. Heat the ghee. Add the sliced onions in batches and brown them nicely. Remember you don’t want to burn them.


Once all the onions are browned keep them aside to cool. 

Transfer the ghee to a pressure cooker and in the same ghee add the mutton pieces and fry on high flame so that they are evenly browned. 
Add the beaten yogurt and Shan Korma mix. Fry some more and then add the ginger. 
Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Now crush the browned onions and add them to the mutton. 
Fry for 5 minutes. Check seasoning. 
Pressure cook for two whistles. 

Your finger licking mutton korma is ready. 



No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...