Thursday 3 October 2013

Whiskey and Marmalade Icecream

Whiskey and Marmalade Ice cream


I don't have a sweet tooth but there is something about ice creams that even I cant resist. Ever wonder how it would feel to make ice cream at home? I did, especially because it gives me a sense of achievement to make something by my own hands. There are so many kinds of ice cream makers in the market but I wanted to start on  a low scale and get one that won't pinch my pocket. I decided that things should start with a bang and not a whimper. So instead of opting for a plain vanilla or strawberry ice cream I made a whiskey and marmalade ice cream. Sounds interesting? Well it tastes delicious!!!!!!!!

The recipe I chose has Creme Anglaise as a base. This is a wonderful sauce that can be used in many different ways. It takes a little bit of practice to make it as you are working with egg yolks.It took me three attempts before I could turn out a satisfactory sauce. The main problem with this sauce is that when hot milk is added to the egg yolks they tend to scramble. But like I always say...practice makes one perfect. The result is truly wonderful and I sincerely recommend that you try it out.

Whiskey and Marmalade Ice cream

Ingredients
400 ml milk
150 ml whipping cream
4 egg yolks
125 gm fine sugar
3 tbsp orange marmalade
1 tbsp whiskey

Method
Heat the milk and cream in a pan. The milk should be scalding which means you don't bring it to a boil; rather you stop when you see bubbles starting to form around the edges.

Keep a big pan full of ice ready at hand. This is required to stop cooking the sauce otherwise it would curdle.

Beat together egg yolks and sugar till it is pale and fluffy. To test whether it is done scoop up some with your whisk and see if it leaves a ribbon trail.




Now you have to add the scalding milk to this mixture. Drizzle a small amount of the milk into the mix and stir well. Adding small amounts ensures that the temperature in the egg mix does not rise too rapidly. Keep mixing small amounts and whisking continuously.





Once the two mixtures are incorporated put the pan on a double boiler.
Keep stirring using a spatula till the custard thickens. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. To test if it is done run a finger along the back of the spoon.If the line holds and doesn't drip it means your custard is ready,



Now cool the custard. Add the marmalade and whiskey and put in the ice cream machine for churning.
It will take about 2 hours to thicken. Put it in a sealed box and freeze for at least 6 hours.


I want to try out a bacon ice cream next. Anyone has the recipe????

No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...