Saturday 3 January 2015

Eggless Fanta Orange Cake

Eggless Fanta Orange Cake
 







Every cake has its story. This cake of mine has one too.
I have come home to my mom after almost a year. My old room, my things, my books, all make me nostalgic. I remember those days of carefree existence. I was blessed to have grown up under the fond care of my grandparents. Truly there is no comparison to their selfless love. 


One of the things I came across was my grandmother’s orange juice strainer. It was commonly used before the advent of juicers. They used to be these triangular pokey tops on a fluted bottom, something like a shiv linga (oops am I being religiously incorrect??). However I remember many sunny afternoons sitting and straining oranges. You put half an orange on top and squeeze and turn. 





Sitting on the dining table were some plump oranges. I, personally am not fond of fresh oranges. Its smell puts me off. I was dying to use that apparatus so I decided to make a cake. An orange cake. So what else is new about that? Hmmmm !!!


I had often heard of a coco cola cake. So why not make a Fanta cake. And what else!! Serious head scratching session. Orange colour and orange tutti frutti to go with the theme. The idea was forming in my head and I could visualise a plate full of delightful orange taste and colour.
What about the topping? Sugar glaze sounds nice but orange and chocolate are a killer combination. Here I cheated a bit and used Hershey’s chocolate syrup. If your kiddo likes it then you can print it!!! Mine did and so here you go with the recipe!!

Ingredients

 
2 cups flour
½ tbsp. baking powder
½ cup oil
1 cup powdered sugar

juice from 1 orange
½ cup Fanta or any orange soda
½ cup curd, beaten
Pinch of orange food color
½ cup tutti frutti


Sift together flour and baking powder. Roll the tutti frutti in the flour. This way they wont sink to the bottom of the cake.
Beat together the oil and powdered sugar. Add the Fanta and orange juice, beat a bit and then add the beaten curd. 

 


Make sure no lumps remain. Now add the flour and tutti frutti mix. Pour the batter into a greased 8” cake tin.
Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius. Bake the cake for 20-25 minutes.
You can serve the cake just like that as it is soft and delicious. You can also drizzle some sugar glaze or chocolate syrup.
Enjoy!!!








No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...