Sunday 18 January 2015

Savoury Seviyyan/Savoury Vermicelli

Savoury Seviyyan



This was created on a lark. Friends were having a dabba recipes contest. A dabba is a tiffin box you pack for your husband when he goes off to work. Fortunately I have always been able to have all three meals of the day with my husband. I have never had to pack a tiffin for him.

So when this event came my way I had to do a literal head scratching. What would my husband want in his packed lunch. 

The only time I carried a tiffin was when I was in college. My grand mom would make fried rice and noodles for me. The main idea behind these two dishes was to incorporate as much vegetables as possible.

Instead of noodles made with flour I used whole wheat roasted Seviyyan or vermicelli. It brings a subtle difference in taste and is a lot healthier than flour noodles.

Ingredients

2 cups vermicelli
1 onion, sliced
1 carrot, sliced fine
½ broccoli floret, sliced
1 tsp soya sauce
Salt to taste

Boil the vermicelli for 2 minutes. Wash under cold water and then leave it to drain.

Heat some oil. Saute the sliced onions. Add the sliced carrots and sliced broccoli. Once the vegetables are soft then take them out. 
Heat some more oil. Fry the boiled vermicelli. Add the soya sauce and season with salt. Fry well. Add the vegetables. Your savoury saviyaan is ready.



No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...