Sunday 10 November 2013

Dark Chocolate Mousse

Dark Chocolate Mousse


I have a certain fondness for chocolate. If i am cooking with chocolate I end up eating fistfuls of them. I also lick my hands clean of all and any residual chocolate that might stick to my fingers. So when the idea of whipping up a luscious chocolate mousse was floated by my friend I jumped to it. 
Personally speaking I am not too fond of the eggless version. It seems to lack a certain texture and creaminess.
The recipe I have here today is made with raw eggs. It might sound a bit iffy to have raw eggs but let me assure you that the chocolate and coffee liqueur overpowers any smell or taste of egg that you might be trying to find. 

Ingredients

250 gm dark chocolate
125 gm butter
4 eggs
4 tbsp powdered sugar
2 tbsp coffee liqueur 

Chop the dark chocolate.
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Once melted whip it vigorously with a spoon and it will turn dark and glossy. Add the butter and beat till well mixed. 
Separate the eggs. Add the egg yolks to the chocolate. Add the coffee liqueur. 
Beat the egg whites till peaks form. However too much whipping can make it dry and then it will not fold properly into the chocolate. 
Once the egg whites are stiff gently fold them into the chocolate.
Spoon into goblets and leave to chill for at least 4-6 hours.
If you are planning a party it is a good idea to make them as early as possible and serve in the evening. 
The consistency of this mousse will be a little soft. If you want it to set firmer you can whip up some cream and add to the mix before keeping it in the fridge. 

Eggless Chocolate Mousse

The eggless chocolate mousse is easy and quick to make. I have to make this most of the times as a majority of my friends are vegetarian. 

Ingredients

250 gm dark chocolate
100 gm butter
1 cup cream
1 tbsp vanilla essence
4 tbsp powdered sugar

Melt the chocolate and butter over a double boiler. Whip it well to make it smooth and glossy. Add vanilla essence. Beat the whipping cream to form stiff peaks and then mix into the chocolate mixture. spoon into goblets and put in the fridge. 

No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...