Monday 14 July 2014

Peekabo Cake

Peekabo Cake
 Eggless Banana Walnut Choco Peekabo Cake




Last night I couldn’t sleep. I kept tossing and turning and guess what entered my subconscious mind? 

Bananas!!! I have a bunch of bananas that are slowly turning black and mushy. Don’t feel like throwing them away. Didn’t feel like baking a simple banana cake. So as I tossed and turned I started formulating a recipe. I will make a Peekabo Cake.

Come morning and I felt like a witch (good one) stirring up a concoction in her cauldron. A little bit of this and that, a pinch, a smidgen and a dash.

First up the cake is going to be eggless. So curd and baking soda.

Next, bananas!! The very ripe one goes directly into the batter and the firm one brings into play the Peekabo element. 

What’s Peekabo you might say! Remember the game we play with toddlers. Hide your face behind your palms, pop out and then say “Peekabo”. The white bananas will be playing peekabo out of the rich darkness of chocolate.

Ever since I have used cornflour to make cake flour at home I have fallen in love with the texture it gives to the cake. So in goes some cornflour and some cocoa powder.

Stir up the cauldron and ……….

Ingredients

1 cup flour
¼ cup cornflour
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 cup castor sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
150 gm butter, melted
1 cup curd
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 very ripe mushy banana
1 firm banana, cut into very thin roundels
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped

Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius.

Mix together baking soda and curd and keep aside for five minutes till it turns frothy. Sieve together flour, cornflour, and baking powder. Add the chopped walnuts. 

Beat together sugar, melted butter and mashed ripe banana. Add the vanilla essence.

Add half the flour, beat well and add half the curd. Repeat the process.

Pour half the cake batter in the cake tin. Now spread the sliced bananas in an even layer. 



Pour the remaining batter over the bananas.


Bake for 25 minutes.




When you slice the cake you will see the white banana layer doing peekabo..


No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...