Thursday 17 July 2014

Baked Crusty Mustard Chicken

Baked Crusty Mustard Chicken




It is very addictive to have some finger licking good. Specially when you are around kids who love all this fried stuff. 
My son simply loves eating at KFC. Even if it only one a month I feel it is one time too many. After all healthy eating habits start at home. 
Every time we eat junk food we overload our body with unhealthy omega 6 fatty acids which can lead to heart problems. The saturated fats, MSG, maltodextrin etc surely enhance the taste and make us keep coming back for more. However look at the potential health problems that may crop up.

This recipe is totally oil free. There are no flavour enhancers. 
Chicken has its own flavour which is complimented by natural ingredients. I have not double dipped the chicken pieces in bleached white flour. Instead  cornflakes have been used to give it that crunch.

 I am hoping to wean my son off the deep fried stuff onto something healthier that will also satisfy his taste buds. My son is my ardent fan and critic and if he says he likes it then I am happy.

Ingredients

500 gm chicken pieces
Salt to taste
3 tbsp mustard paste (If you don’t like the mustard flavor you can simply use 2 tbsp fresh ginger garlic paste.)
2 tbsp flour
1 egg
Juice of half a lime
2 tbsp sugar (This has been used to balance the pungency of the mustard. If you are using ginger garlic paste you must omit this)
3 cups cornflakes

Mix the chicken pieces with the rest of the ingredients. Marinate for one hour. 



Finely crunch the cornflakes with your hands. Do not put them in a blender. If the cornflakes are crushed too fine they won’t give that crunch. Roll the chicken in the cornflakes to coat them well.  



Preheat the oven at 220 degrees Celsius. Bake the chicken pieces for 20-25 minutes. 



No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...