Wednesday 10 December 2014

Rum Balls

Rum Balls







I tried out a new recipe for chocolate bundt cake. The cake turned out soft and decadent. My son was already hopping and skipping to take a bite but taking a cake out of a bundt pan is not easy. The cake needs to cool down before upturning and banging the pan. I have had many disasters trying to hurry up the process.

After the cake was cool I took it out. It was like a chiffon cake, soft and crumbly. I was so happy. I took a big bite and my heart broke. My oh so wonderful cake was sugarless. I had forgotten to add sugar. It was a disaster!!!! I couldn't throw the cake away. So I decided to make rum balls. And boy was I happy with my mistake. The Rum Balls turned out to be chewy, chocolaty, gorgeous. The rum soaked raisins gave it a slight heady feeling. However if you don't prefer the taste of rum you can not use it altogether. The Rum Balls will still taste awesome. 

Ingredients

One 8" chocolate cake
1 tin milkmaid
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup sugar ( I had to use sugar because my cake was sugarless. If you are using normal cake then skip this step)
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup rum
1/2 cup desiccated coconut to roll the rum balls in

First mix the rum and raisins and put it on a low flame to cook. The rum will evaporate and the raisins will be plump. 
Crumble the cake in a mixer. Add the coconut and sugar. 




Mix well. Add the raisins. Now slowly add the milkmaid and bring it into a tight dough. Make small balls and roll the balls in the desiccated coconut. Your Rum Balls are ready. 





No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...