Monday 8 December 2014

Soya Biryani

Soya Biryani




I love biryani. I have tried chicken, mutton, fish and mix veg biryanis. So I decided to try out this soya biryani. 

Traditionally biryani is a non-vegetarian dish made of chicken or mutton. The concept of layering and cooking on dum was that the juices from the chicken/mutton would make the rice tastier. 

However soya does not have any taste of its own. So layering the biryani would be a moot point. This made the biryani simpler and less time consuming as I did away with the complex step. 

My family turns vegetarian on Tuesdays which is a major sore point for my son who wants chicken every day. I have to make something different to entice him to eat. The soya biryani was tasty enough to make him happy.

Ingredients

2 cups rice, boiled
3 cups soya granules
1 bay leaf
3 green cardamoms
2 brown cardamoms
2 dry red chillies
1’ cinnamon
1 tbsp peppercorns
2 onions, chopped
2” ginger, minced
6 garlic, minced
2 green chilies, chopped
5 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
 Salt to taste

Soak the soya granules in hot water for half an hour. 
Heat some ghee. Add dry red chilies, bay leaf, green cardamoms, brown cardamoms and cinnamon. 
Add the ginger, garlic and green chilies. After a minute add the chopped onions. Sauté for 2 minutes.
 Add the tomato puree and cook till the oil separates. 
Add the coriander powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and salt. 
Fry till the masalas are well cooked. 
Drain the water and add the soya granules. 
Sauté on high flame for few minutes. Add some water, cover and cook for 10 minutes. The soya mix should be dry. Add the boiled rice and mix well. Cover and cook for two more minutes so that the rice and soya is well mixed. Your Soya Biryani is ready.




1 comment:

vezlay said...

I love soya food and thanks for this post I like this information please provide few more information about this post vegerian meat

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...