Tuesday 15 September 2015

Posto Batar Chorchori

Posto Batar Chorchori





For me posto/khus khus/poppy seeds is the magical ingredient in cooking. You can add it to basically any dish and enhance its flavour. It goes well with a variety of vegetables, chicken, mutton and fish. You can also simply make a paste, sauté it and have it with steaming hot rice. Some of my favorite posto dishes are potol (parval) posto, aloo posto, lau (bottle gourd/lauki) posto, sores posto maach, etc.
I am reminded of a childhood incident. When I was about 10 years old we had gone to an aunt’s house during the school vacations. My adorable aunt was so happy to see us. During lunch she asked me what I would like to have. Innocently I replied that I wanted to have posto bata, a very simple preparation. Everyone had a good laugh because I did not say chicken or fish. I still remember my aunt sitting on a sheel bata ( grinding stone), chuckling to herself and vigorously grinding away the posto.
With our fancy kitchen gadgets we find it so much easier to work around in the kitchen. However I have seen that anything ground on an old fashioned mortar and pestle tastes way better than when ground in a mixie. Maybe that to and fro process on a stone crushes the ingredients and releases their essential oil. Whatever the reason if you want it tastier do it the traditional way.

Ingredients

½ cup poppy seeds, soaked in warm water
1 onion, chopped fine
1 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp cumin powder
Salt and sugar to taste
1 tsp ghee
½ tsp red chilli powder

Soak the poppy seeds in warm water for half an hour. Grind to a smooth paste. Heat some mustard oil.
 Sauté the chopped onion till it turns translucent. 
Add the coriander and cumin powder. Fry till the masala is cooked. Add the poppy seeds paste, salt and sugar. Cook till oil starts leaving the sides. 
Once the mix is well cooked and dry switch off the flame. Heat the ghee and add the red chilli powder. 
Drizzle it over the posto batar chorchori. 
Garnish with green chillies.




No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...