Tuesday 3 June 2014

Microwave Aloo Matar Biryani

Microwave Aloo Matar Biryani




I am a bookworm. I horde books and that includes lots of cookery books. However it is true that you always remember your first one..:)

I have had a passion for cooking ever since I was a child. I used to cut recipes out of my mom’s magazines and save them in a secret diary I had. But as I was never allowed to cook much I didn't really get the hang of it till much later on. 

The first cookery book I owned was after marriage when my husband bought one for me. It was about microwave cookery. Though I don’t use that book or don’t cook in the microwave now, I still have that book with me. Rifling through my book collection I chanced upon that very same book. It made me so very nostalgic. 

So, in fond memory of those days, I decided to make Microwave Aloo Matar Biryani.

Ingredients

1 ½ cups basmati rice, washed and soaked
2 onioins, chopped
3 garlic pods, chopped
Small piece of ginger, chopped
½ cup green peas
2 potatoes, cubed
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 bay leaf
3 green cardamoms
3 cloves
6 peppercorns
Small piece of cinnamon



Take a microwave proof bowl and add some oil to it. Add the whole spices like cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, green cardamoms and peppercorns. Micro high for 1 minutes.


 Add the chopped onion, ginger and garlic and micro high for 4 minutes. 


Add the potatoes, peas, cumin powder, garam masala powder and little salt. 


Cover with a lid and micro high for 5 minutes. Remember to stir once in between. 


Drain the rice and add to the mix. Stir well so that the rice is evenly distributed. Add about 2 ½ cups of water. Add some more salt. 



Now cover and micro high for 10 minutes. Check once. Micro high another 8-10 minutes. check again. The power output of all microwaves are different so you have to keep checking the rice to see if it is done. 


No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...