Monday 2 June 2014

Orange Pound Cake

Orange Pound Cake



What do you do when life gives you lemons? You make lemonade, right!! But what do you do when life does not give you lemons, to make your Lemon Pound Cake? The lemons I get in the market here are the size of marbles and hopeless when it comes to grating zest. So I have to forego all those lime n lemony cakes and tarts and biscuits.

So I decided to make an Orange Pound Cake, not that it is going to be any easier. The grandma oranges I get have wrinkled skin and again no zesting.

But where there is a will there is a way!! Or you make a way!! I had some candied orange peels left over from my Christmas Cake. Sure grated zest is nicer, fresher, tastier..but like I said if life does not give you oranges you use canned orange juice. Yup that is my next cheat’s ingredient, Orange juice. Not going to use those grandma oranges at all!!

Ingredients

1 ¾ cup flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¾ cup butter
¾ cup milk
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
Some candied orange peels
50 ml orange juice (I have used half of a small tetra pack)


Preheat oven at 160 degrees Celsius.
Cream the butter and sugar till pale and fluffy. Add the beaten eggs in three batches, mixing well after each batch.



Add half the milk, mix, and then add half the flour. Add the candied peels and juice. Mix again. Now add the rest of the milk and flour and fold in gently.

Pour the batter into a greased and floured tin. Gently bang the sides to level the batter in the tin. 


Bake for 60 minutes. 


Test with a tooth pick. If required bake 10-15 more minutes.



Once the cake is done leave it on a rack to cool. 



No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...