Friday 27 March 2015

Kofi Chingdi/Prawns N Cauliflower

Kofi Chingdi/Prawns N Cauliflower





There is something special about mom’s food. Roaming all over the countryside I have sampled various kinds of cuisine and loved most of them. Married fifteen years; I have been away from home fifteen years. But whenever I come home and have mom’s food I am happy. Those smells and flavours take me back into my childhood. There is something comforting in those dishes. They remind me of the value of home, of family.

Bengalis and fish! I need not say much about that. One of my top five picks among sea food is prawns. When I was younger my grandfather used to get prawns for me regularly. And he would also ensure I got the maximum number on my plate. I was a pampered child and even now when I eat prawns they make me feel so good..not just because they taste awesome but because deep down I associate them with that feeling of being special.

Prawns have an abundance of flavour and when you mix them with any kind of vegetable it exalts the dish. Here too the prawns add that creaminess to the cauliflowers and I can simply polish off a whole plate of rice with this one dish.

Ingredients

1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
1 potato, cubed
8-10 prawns
Salt and turmeric to apply on the prawns
1 tomato, sliced
1 tsp cumin seeds
1” ginger, grated
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp garam masala
Mustard oil for cooking
1 tsp ghee
A pinch of cardamom powder
A pinch of cinnamon powder

Apply some salt and turmeric powder to the prawns and keep aside for half n hour.

Heat some mustard oil. Once the oil reaches smoking point lower the heat and fry the prawns for a minute or two. Once they turn reddish take them out. 

In the same oil add the cumin seeds. Once they start spluttering add the cauliflower and potato. Saute on high heat for some time. Add the grated ginger and sliced tomato and saute some more.
 Add all the dry masalas and fry. 
Once the masalas are incorporated into the veggies add a cup of water. Bring it to a boil.
 Add the prawns, cover and cook till the cauliflowers are done. Switch off the heat. 
Add the ghee, cinnamon and cardamom powders.







No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...