Tuesday 10 March 2015

Drums of Heaven

Drums of Heaven






We have a neighbourhood restaurant that is our favourite haunt. 

Birthdays or anniversaries..eat there! Exams are over..lets go!! Friends coming over and you just came back from work..meet you there!! Feeling too lazy to cook..it will be a good evening walk/stroll going there!! You get the idea.

 It is quiet and homely and it has the deadliest Drums of Heaven. I have been eating this very same dish every time I go there for the past 20 years. 

Drums of heaven is basically chicken lollipop served with schezwan sauce and lots of onions and garlic. When I am away(which I mostly am) and I feel homesick this dish is one of the things I miss. So to remind me of a taste of home and friends and get-togethers..I make this often. 

I have used ready made chicken lollipops because who wants extra  hassle. However if you don’t have the ready made ones you can make them at home. Simply take chicken wings and break off one of the bones. Now using a blunt knife push the meat towards one end. All the meat will be bunched up and form a lollipop. Now marinate these lollipops in a batter of cornflour, soya sauce and salt. Then simply deep fry. Fry on a low heat so that the chicken is cooked through and through. 


Ingredients

6 Chicken lollipops
2 onions, chopped
5 garlic pods, chopped
3 tbsp homemade schezwan sauce
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
Salt to taste
Deep fry the chicken lollipops. 

Heat some oil. Saute the garlic and then add the chopped onions. Toss on high flame but do not cook it as you would like to keep them crunchy. 

Add the sauce and ketchup and sprinkle a little water. Now add the fried lollipops and toss on high flame till they are well coated with the onion and sauce. 

Homemade Schezwan sauce

I have basically used Tarla Dalal's recipe. However I did not have certain ingredients listed there and so I have improvised using things in my pantry.



Make a paste of
10 dry red chillies
5 garlic pods

Other ingredients
3 garlic pods, chopped fine
1 “ ginger, chopped fine
I onion, chopped fine
2 red chillies, chopped fine
1 tbsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
½ tsp pepper powder
1 tsp vinegar
Salt to taste
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp ajinomoto 
1 tbsp cornflour+1/4 cup water

Boil the red chillies and garlic together for 10 minutes. Cool and blend into a thick paste.
Heat some oil. Saute the ginger, garlic and green chillies till soft and mushy. Now add the red chili paste, Kashmiri red chilli powder, pepper powder, vinegar, salt, sugar and ajinomoto. Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Add cornflour and water paste to thicken the sauce. Cook till sauce reaches the desired consistency. 


No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...