Sunday 8 March 2015

Aloo Pakoda/Potato Fritters

Aloo Pakoda/Potato Fritters






I don’t believe in sun signs and all that stuff. But when my horoscope says I am a water person, I totally agree. I simply don’t like the sun and I love rains. Even in the coldest of winter (at -25 degrees also) I prefer to sit in front of a heater than go outside and sit in the warm sun. 

Rain clouds make my heart feel happy. Maybe I was a peacock in my previous life. Have you ever seen a peacock open its flumes and dance? I feel the same way when it rains. If only I had the multi hued feathers like the beautiful peacock, I too would dance in the rain. 

Come the pitter patter of rain drops and the first thing that comes to mind is Pakodis. Any kind. It just has to hot and crispy. The most common variety that can be made without any fuss are Aloo Pakoda. I decided to make it a bit special by adding few more ingredients. 


Ingredients

4 medium potatoes
1 cup besan
½ cup rice flour
¼ cup cornflour
1 tsp nigella seeds
1 tbsp khus khus/poppy seeds
Salt to taste

Slice the potatoes into thick roundels. Blanch them in salty hot water for 5 minutes. 


Dry roast the besan on a tava. This makes the pakoda very crunchy. Make a batter of the roasted besan, rice flour, cornflour, nigella seeds, khus khus seeds and salt. The batter should be thick enough to coat the potatoes well.
 Mix the potato roundels and keep for 10 minutes.
Heat some oil. Since the potatoes are already blanched you don’t have to fry on low flame. Put the flame on high and deep fry the batter coated potatoes. 




No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...