Monday 16 March 2015

Lau Chingdi/Prawns and Bottle gourd

Lau Chingdi/Prawns and Bottle gourd





I don’t know why some people don’t like Lau or Lauki. It is a very adaptable vegetable. You can cook it with so many other things, each giving it a distinct flavour. 

I love it cooked simply with salt and turmeric with a sprinkling of coriander leaves.

I can have it with coconut. 

It tastes amazing with poppy seeds paste. I can go on and on.

In this dish the prawns and lauki make a super duper broth. It is spicy with a hint of sweet. It has the fragrance of prawns and the crunch of the lauki. It is best eaten with hot steaming rice. I can almost smell the aroma as I write about the dish 

Ingredients

1 medium Lauki/bottle gourd, skinned and chopped
250 gms prawns
½ tsp nigella seeds
3 green chillies, slit
1 tomato, sliced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp sugar
1 tsp coriander powder
¼ cup mustard oil ( If you don’t have mustard oil you can use any vegetable oil)
Coriander leaves to garnish

Wash and clean the prawns. Apply some salt and turmeric to it and keep aside for ½ hour. 

Heat the mustard oil. Saute the prawns for 3-4 minutes. The prawns will turn reddish. Take the prawns out. 

In the same oil add the nigella seeds green chillies. Add the sliced tomato for some time. Now add the chopped Lauki. Saute for some time and then add the salt, turmeric powder, sugar and coriander powder. Cover and cook till the lauki is almost cooked.

 Now add the prawns, cover and cook for 5 more minutes. You don’t need to add any water as the vegetable will release a lot on its own. Garnish with coriander leaves. 



No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...