Thursday 26 March 2015

Sticky Gooey Truffle Cake

Sticky Gooey Truffle Cake





Every cake has a story. Mine is that every time I promise my sis-in-law a cake and something or the other comes up and that cake remains just a promise. This cake has been baked specially for her. 

It has to be a chocolate cake and a decadent one. The idea was to make a truffle cake. However I tweaked with the ingredients a bit and I waited for the cake to be baked first before I went on to the truffle part. 

I rarely can lay my hands on certain not-so-usual cake ingredients such as crème fraiche, sour cream, half-n-half and I always have to improvise or substantiate. When I came across sour cream I simply grabbed it and decided to use it in my next bake. 

I wanted the cake to be a bit fudgy because for me decadence starts with fudginess and that stick-to-your teeth texture. So extra egg yolks and less flour. The batter turned out so sloshy and liquid that I had my doubts about the outcome. But nothing ventured, nothing gained. I had my 8”pan greased and lined and it was absolutely full of batter. So if you are making the cake go for a 9” pan. I baked at a lower temperature as I didn't want the cake to rise quickly and fall over the sides. Even if you are using a bigger pan bake at this temperature as it makes the cake rise slowly and evenly. 

Ingredients

1 ¼ cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tbsp. baking soda
2/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup water
3 eggs
3 egg yolks
100 gm butter
200 gm chocolate, chopped
1  ½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar

Grease and line a 9” cake pan.
Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
Melt the chocolate and butter together in the microwave for a minute. Beat well till smooth. 

Mix the cocoa powder and water well and bring to a boil. Switch off heat and beat till smooth. Once it cools down add the chocolate mix to it.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. 
Whip the eggs and egg yolks. Add the two sugars and whip for about ten minutes. The mixture will be frothy and glossy. Now add the sour cream and whip again. Add the chocolate-cocoa powder mix and whip. Now fold in the flour. Since the quantity of flour is less you have to be careful that there are no flour lumps left behind. Also do not overmix. Pour the batter in the cake tin and bake for 60-70 minutes. Cool the cake completely.

For the ganache

200 gms chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup cream

Melt the chocolate and cream in the microwave for 1 minute. stir vigorously till glossy and smooth. 
Cut the cake into two layers. Spread ganache on the first cake layer. Cover with the second layer. If the ganache oozes out then good!

Spread rest of the ganache on the top and sides of the cake. Put in the fridge to chill so that the ganahe sets properly. The cake is best eaten after keeping in the fridge overnight. 
If you want a smoother finish on the cake then apply a thicker coat of ganache and smoothen. 

No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...