Monday 2 March 2015

Murg Dilruba

Murg Dilruba





Unusual name for a chicken dish but it is so apt for the one I cooked it for. By now most of my friends and acquaintances are well aware of my son’s absolute and complete love for chicken. 
It is all that he ever wants to eat. A meal without chicken is no meal at all according to him. So I have to sneak in all the vegetables into the chicken dish. Also it poses a challenge for me to come up with something new in terms of preparation. I, myself, will get bored cooking the same thing over and over again.



We had been travelling for almost more than a moth now. Back home after such a long stint felt good. There is no comparison of home cooked meal. It satisfies both your hunger pangs and your soul. 

As usual there was an insistent demand for chicken and only chicken. I told my son that chicken is his dilruba..one he cant live without. This is how the name came about. Murg Dilruba. A simple and sweet dish (literally because I have used lots of ketchup which impart a slightly sweet flavour). 


Ingredients

800 gm chicken
4 large red tomatoes
2 onions, quartered
1 bay leaf
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 garlic pods
½ “ ginger
3 green chillies
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tbsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp Kashmiri Red chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 cup cream
1 cup milksalt to taste
a pinch of sugar

Quarter the onions and tomatoes and put them to boil in 2 cups of water. Boil for 5-7 minutes. Once cool, peel the tomatoes and then make a paste of the onions and tomatoes. 

Pound together the ginger, garlic and green chillies to a coarse paste. Heat some oil. Add bay leaf and cumin seeds. Once the seeds start spluttering add the ground ginger garlic paste. Stir for a minute and add the tomato-onion paste. Fry on medium heat till the water evaporates and the oil starts leaving the sides. 
Now add all the dry masalas and bhuno for some time. Add the ketchup and mix well. Add the chicken pieces and fry on high flame for 10 minutes. Add the salt and sugar. The chicken pieces should be well coated with the masala. 
Add half a cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook til almost done. Add the milk slowly, stirring all the time. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes. Check the seasoning. Switch off the gas and mix in the cream. 




No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...