Tuesday 24 September 2013

easy-to-make-doughnuts


                                  Easy to make doughnuts


So my friend asked me…where is the pie???

I had started this blog as a medium to share my recipes with my friends. I love to eat n I love to cook. But places where I live it is difficult to get the kind of food I crave. So out of necessity I started baking cakes, tarts, quiches etc...n u know what once you get the hang of it its really fun. The initial hesitation lies in thinking will they be as good as the patisserie?? Believe me they will be..with a little patience and a little practice.

My son loves doughnuts. What’s not to love? Those soft, fried rings of sweet chocolaty yumminess…..(drool). But the problem I faced was handling yeast. I have lost count of the times I have sat waiting for the yeast to foam. I have thrown out batches in desperation because if they don’t foam the dough will not rise and it will all be a wasted effort.  So I started off with these really simple cake doughnuts which don’t require yeast.

CAKE DOUGHNUTS

Ingredients
2 ½ cups flour
½ cup white sugar
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
2 tsp nutmeg powder
½ tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk (you can use yogurt that has been watered down)
½ cup butter, melted

Procedure
Mix together the dry ingredients i.e. flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg powder and salt. Keep it aside. Mix together the wet ingredients i.e. egg, butter and buttermilk. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mix and knead. Don’t over knead it as you will be knocking out the air.

 Had you used yeast the dough would have been left for an hour or so to rise. However with these cake doughnuts you can continue working.
Roll out the dough into ¾ inch thickness.


Using a doughnut cutter cut out roundels and deep fry them.






No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...