Monday 30 September 2013

Loukoumades

Loukoumades


Sounds interesting, right! It is! Simply put it is a Greek variation of our gulabjamun. Though not as sweet because it doesn't have khoya nor is it dipped in sugar syrup. It's batter is more akin to that of a doughnut. In fact these are a variation of fried doughnuts. I decided to try them and found them to be quite nice especially because I am not fond of things that are too sweet. I would definitely recommend you try this at home albeit a small batch because it is an acquired taste.

Loukoumades

Ingredients
10 gm dry yeast
120 ml warm water
50 ml warm milk
30 gm white sugar
Pinch of salt
35 gm softened butter
2 small eggs
250 gm flour
60 ml honey
60 ml water
Pinch of cinnamon powder

Method
First is the yeast test.
That has always been my waterloo. Yeast is supposed to foam and froth but mine just sits placidly mocking me. It happened this time too (no surprise)……but I didn’t give up. The second batch turned out fine!!!
Mix yeast in warm water and let sit till it forms a froth. (sighhhh!!!!)

see for yourself...one is frothy and the other is flat....!!



Dissolve the sugar and salt in the milk. Add the yeast mix to the milk.
In a separate dish beat the butter. Add eggs one at a time.
Now alternately add flour and milk mixture. I do not tip in the milk mixture all at one go. In fact yopu don’t have to use up all the milk mix. Use only as much as required. Adding small batches of flour I keep an eye on the consistency of the batter. It should just start holding its shape together. It will not be a stiff dough like gulabjamun dough. It will resemble a sticky, gooey glop…if you get what I mean.

Cover it with a wet cloth and let it stand in a warm corner for about 30 minutes till it doubles in size.
Meanwhile mix honey and water and boil for few minutes to get syrup. It will not be thick like a chashni. It will be watery so that you can drizzle them over the Loukoumades.
The recipe I used recommended that I make balls of the dough using wet hands. Let me tell you wet hands will not work. I ended up with the dough plastered all over my hands and my temper a few notches high. What will work is that you liberally coat your hands in oil…..and I do mean liberally. Then the dough will not stick and you will be able to make small balls easily. Deep fry them on low heat so that they are cooked through and through.
I decided to cut them in half so that the honey syrup soaks through properly. You can simply drizzle them with honey syrup if you want the aesthetic beauty of a round ball. Sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon on top. 

No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...