Monday 8 June 2015

Apricot Coconut Cake

Apricot Coconut Cake





I live in the land of apricots. 
And these are the sweetest and tastiest apricots I have ever eaten in my life.

 There is a small village called Dag about 5 hours from Leh. It is also known as the Aryan village. This village is one of the few places in the Ladakh region where you can still come across true blooded Aryans. 

My trip to the village was not a total success because when we reached most of the population was out working. Only children and elderly ladies were left there. So we ended up eating apricots. All along the village path there were numerous apricot trees laden with the golden peachish fruit. They were smaller in size, almost the size of walnuts. But they were so juicy and tasty!!!  Even as I write these lines I can feel that apricot smell wafting in the air.

Coming back to the cake!! The cottage industry here makes these yummy apricot jam that is totally organic. I always have a big jar in my pantry. Apricot in a cake is a good combination. However it is not quite the season yet for the fruit. So I decided to make a cake using the apricot jam.
The cake also has the flavour of coconut. 

The combination of apricot and coconut is unbelievable. It is to be relished!!

Ingredients
1 ½ cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup sugar
1 cup apricot jam
1 cup desiccated coconut
¼ cup butter
¼ cup oil
3 eggs, separated
Few choco chips

Line and grease a 8” cake tin. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
Sift the flour and baking powder. Whisk together the oil and butter till it is a smooth mixture. 
Add the sugar and whip till light and frothy. 
Add the egg yolks one by one, whipping after each addition. Now add the apricot jam and mix well ensuring that no lumps remain. 
Add the coconut and flour alternately. 
Add the choco chips. 
Now whip the egg whites till peaks form. Gently fold into the batter. 
Pour the batter into the lined tin and bale for 30-35 minutes or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.





No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...