Monday 29 June 2015

Lauki Halwa

Lauki Halwa





I have a very peculiar problem with the place I am staying in. At almost 11,000 feet there are many things that I find strange here. 
Cooking is a big chore because mundane things like onions and potatoes don’t get cooked easily. It takes me three hours to cook potatoes in a pan. It takes about 10 whistles to cook masoor ki dal. 
And all this is because of the altitude which changes the boiling point of ingredients. So anything that takes about 20 minutes to cook down in the plains takes about 2 hours to cook here.
My nemesis, among other things, is the bottle gourd or the lauki. It simply will not cook. And it is a very common summer vegetable. Also it is very good for health. What to do?? The only option for me was to make Lauki halwa. Once pressure cooked it becomes eatable. And if made well it is a delicious dish!

Ingredients

1 large lauki
1 cup mawa/khoya
1 cup sugar ( you can adjust depending on how sweet you want it)
1 cup assorted dry fruits, chopped ( I have used cashews and chuara)
2 litres milk
2 tbsp ghee



First skin the lauki and then grate it. Put the grated lauki along with 1 ½ cups of water in a cooker and cook for 2 whistles. Take the lauki out of the cooker and put in a colander to drain away the excess water. 


Meanwhile put the milk to boil. After it boils for 15 minutes add the grated and cooked lauki in the milk. 


Now cook till the milk evaporates and the mixture thickens. Add the sugar, mava and dry fruits. Keep cooking till the halwa is dry. Add the ghee and cook some more. 




No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...