Friday 30 November 2018

Chicken Chettinad



A South Indian preparation that uses coconut and poppy seeds among other things. I have used this coconut-poppy seeds combination for fish and prawns also and i have always loved it. Dry roasting spices and grinding them for any dish makes it tastier. Nowadays we get all kinds of masalas easily. However I remember my grandmother soaking the basic spices and grinding them on a mortar pestle for everyday cooking. The way that food used to taste cannot be brought about by readymade masala. So whenever I get a chance to make my own masala I feel nostalgic.


Ingredients

1 chicken
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice

For the Chettinad masala
4 tbsp poppy seeds
½ coconut grated
2 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
5 dry red chillies
2 green cardamoms
1” cinnamon
2 cloves

For the gravy
3 onions, pureed
2 tomatoes, pureed
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
Salt to taste
6 curry leaves

Marinate the chicken in salt and lemon juice for an hour. Dry roast the ingredients for the Chettinad masala. Dry grind them to a fine powder.
Heat some oil. Add the curry leaves. Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté. Add the pureed onions and tomatoes and cook till the mix starts drying. Add the Chettinad masala, turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilli powder and salt. Fry till the oil starts separating. Add the chicken pieces and fry on high flame for 10 minutes. Add a cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook till done. Garnish with some grated coconut.


No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...