Thursday 7 May 2015

Cordon Rose Banana Cake

Cordon Rose Banana Cake






Here comes another Rose Levy Beranbaum recipe. What first attracted me to this recipe was the name, which, to my surprise, has very little to do with the ingredients. The banana part is true but there was no rose!!

The second thing was the sour cream. I don’t any sour cream in my pantry and for long I have avoided cakes which have called for sour cream. Now I decided to go in for some home made sour cream substitute and this cake seemed perfect to try out.

Ingredients

2 large ripe bananas
2 tbsp sour cream
2 large eggs
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 ½ tsp vanilla
2 cups sifted cake flour
¾ cup +2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
142 gms/10 tbsp softened butter

Now I have taken few liberties with the recipe to suit my conditions.
First I have made homemade sour cream. Then I have used cake flour substitute.

For Sour cream substitute

¼ cup milk
1 tbsp vinegar
1 cup heavy cream

Mix all three ingredients and leave in room temperature for 24 hours. Your sour cream substitute is ready.


To make cake flour you have to take 1 cup all purpose flour, remove 2 tbsp flour and replace it with 2 tbsp cornflour. So for this recipe I have taken 2 cups all purpose flour, removed 4 tbsp flour and added 4 tbsp cornflour.

Blend the banana and sour cream together. Add the eggs, lemon zest and vanilla and mix well. 
Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. 
Add the butter and half the banana mixture. Beat for a minute. Then add the other half of the banana mixture. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Bake the cake for 35 minutes.



No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...