Tuesday 19 May 2015

Punjabi Chole

Punjabi Chole




There is a small shop near the Delhi University which sells the awesomest chole. There is always a huge crowd in front of that tiny shop. People come from far to buy his chole masala. His secret blend of spices makes the darkest and yummiest chole.

Going down the nostalgia lane felt good. College days are the best. Friends and studies and nothing else. It is a carefree life and you are on the cusp of something greater. Life has everything to offer you. Job, career, family..it all lies ahead of you. It is only years later that you look back and realize what a time it was!

Now 20 years later, 1000 kilometers away I wish I can have that same taste again. I might not have his secret recipe but I can surely try to recreate some of that old magic. I start with making my own masala. Using the store bought Chole masala always gives the same old taste and I end up bitterly disappointed.

Ingredients

2 cups chick peas/kabuli chana
2 onions, chopped fine
1 tomato, chopped fine

For the masala
1 tsp ginger paste
1 ½ tbsp. coriander seeds
1 ½ tsp. cumin seeds
2 black cardamoms
3-4 cloves
5-8 peppercorns
3 dry red chillies
1 bay leaf
2 green cardamoms
1” cinnamon stick
1 javitri

Soak the chick peas overnight. Pressure cook them with some salt and turmeric till they are soft.
Prepare the masala. Dry roast all the ingredients and grind them to a fine powder in a mortar pestle.




Heat some oil. Add the ginger paste. Add the chopped onions. Cook till the onions are translucent. Add the tomato and dry masala. Cook till the tomatoes are soft and the oil starts leaving the sides. The masala too will be well cooked by now. Add the boiled chick peas. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and onions. 


No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...