Monday 25 May 2015

Marbled Chocolate Crumble Cake

Marbled Chocolate Crumble Cake
Recipe source : Cake by Rachel Allen






Ever since I made the coconut streusel topping mocha cupcakes I had fallen in love with the idea of a streusel topping or a crumb topping. The cake is soft and moist underneath and the streusel topping is crumbly and buttery. What an awesome combination!!

I came across this recipe in Cake by Rachel Allen. It has two of my favorite things, a marble cake and a crumb topping. This was one cake I simply had to bake. And the fight that ensued over division of slices is a testimony to its awesomeness.

I have made few changes to the recipe wherein I have reduced the amount of butter and increased the amount of milk. Also I have used half butter and half oil. I have reduced the crumble topping too.

Ingredients

225 gms butter( I have reduced the amount to 200 gms where I have used half butter and half oil)
225 gms castor sugar
4 eggs
11 tsp vanilla extract
225 gms plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
50 ml milk ( I have used 4 tbsp +2 tbsp milk)
25 gm cocoa powder

For the crumble topping( the amount I have used)

50 gms plain flour
20 gm castor sugar
20 gms chopped dark chocolate
25 gms cold butter

First make the crumble topping. Using your fingers mix together flour, sugar and butter till it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the chopped chocolate. Keep aside.


Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a 9” springform tin.
Whip the butter and oil till it becomes smooth. Now add the 4 tbsp milk and sugar and cream till light and fluffy. 
Add the eggs one by one, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla essence. 
Sift together the flour and baking powder and add to the egg mix. 
Whip at medium speed till it becomes a smooth batter with no lumps. 
Remove half the batter. Add cocoa powder and 2 tbsp milk to the other half and mix well. 
Now put the batter in the cake tin by placing alternating spoonful of the batter. Once all the batter is placed swirl it with a toothpick. 


Sprinkle the crumble topping on top. 


Bake for 50 minutes.
  





No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...