Thursday 14 May 2015

Garlic Pickle/Poondu Oorugai

Garlic Pickle/Poondu Oorugai






I simply love garlic. I love the smell of them frying. I put loads of them in my soups, in my momos. I always saute garlic before making chowmein or fried rice. And of all pickles garlic pickle is my favorite. I came across this recipe of garlic pickle made South Indian style and the combination of ingredients sounded very interesting. It was so different form the North Indian style of making pickles. I simply had to make it. And believe me it turned out awesome.

Ingredients

200 gms garlic, peeled
4 tbsp tamarind paste
Pinch of hing
2 tbsp mustard seeds
¼ cup mustard oil
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt ( adjust according to taste)

Heat the mustard oil to smoking point. Lower heat and add the garlic pods. Saute till they are lightly browned. 
Take of heat. Lightly crush half the garlic. 
You can do so by giving it one whirl in the mixer. 

In the same oil add the hing and mustard seeds. Mix the tamarind paste with ½ cup water and add to the hot oil. Cook till the oil separates. 
Add the whole garlic, crushed garlic, red chilli powder, salt and sugar. The sugar will balance out the sourness of the tamarind. 
Adjust the salt and sugar according to your taste. Cook for about 15 minutes. Store in an air tight jar once cooled.  





No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...