Tuesday 15 April 2014

Custard Cake

Custard cake


Surfing through the net for interesting recipes I have heard the mention of custard cake a number of times. Now that I have finally made the cake I wonder why I didn't do so much before. 
This cake is just divine. While popping it into the oven I was quite sceptical because it was just so runny and liquid. However after about half an hour it plumped up nice and brown. 
This is a delicate cake that is infused with different textures and flavours.

Ingredients

100 gms butter, melted
1 cup flour
1 ¼ cups breakfast/castor sugar
2 cups milk
4 eggs, separated
4 drops white vinegar
2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla essence

Preheat the oven to 160 degree Celsius.

Whip the egg whites and white vinegar till stiff peaks form.

Beat the egg yolks and sugar till light and fluffy.
Add the melted butter and 2 tbsp water and beat well.


Add the flour gently.
Beat in the milk and essence.
Using a spatula fold in the egg whites in three batches. Since you have already added 2 cups of milk the batter will be in a liquid state. When you first add the egg whites they will float like tiny marshmallows. Do not be disheartened and keep mixing gently. 



Pour the batter into a greased cake tin and bake for 50-60 minutes.


 When I first saw the batter I thought that it is better I use a loose bottom tin otherwise I might have problems unmolding the cake. However the cake is not that wobbly and you can safely use a normal cake tin. 





No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...