Saturday 25 October 2014

Kolhapuri Chicken

Kolhapuri Chicken



Brrrr!!!! Its freezing outside with the temperature dipping to about 5 degrees Celsius in the afternoon. This is the first time I have been in such a cold place.

 The dark clouds on the horizon promise a further dip in temperature. The nearest peaks are all snow clad and the mere sight sets my teeth on edge. The best place to be in is under the quilt with a hot water bottle warming the cockles of my heart..
No way am I going to cook something elaborate. I just might drag myself out from under the quilt to cook some chicken. And you know what!!! I am in the mood for something very hot, spicy and lip smacking. Something drenched in oil. Something that will make my eyes water and my mouth too. I have spiced up this Kolhapuri Chicken to suit the mood and to combat the weather.

Ingredients

500 gm chicken
For marination
6 green chillies, pounded
6 cloves garlic, pounded
Salt to taste
2 tbsp curd
1 tsp lime juice

For the Kolhapuri masala
1 tbsp oil
2 bay leaves
5 cloves
1 inch cinnamon stick, broken
1 tsp black peppercorns
3 onions, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp desiccated coconut

1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
Salt to taste

Marinate the chicken in the marinating spices for two hours.

Meanwhile prepare the Kolhapuri masala. Heat the 1 tbsp oil. Add the bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon and peppercorns.

 Now add the onions and sauté till they become translucent. Add the coconut. Sauté for 2 minutes. 

Add the chopped tomatoes, cover and cook till they are soft. Cool the mixture and then blend it in a mixer. The masala is ready. 

Heat some oil. When it is hot add the marinated chicken and fry for 15-20 minutes. 
Add the Kolhapuri masala, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt. Fry for 2 minutes. Add some water, cover and cook till done. Garnish with green chillies. 



No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...