Tuesday 28 October 2014

Sour Chocolate Cake

Sour Chocolate Cake



A friend asked me how often do you bake and when I thought about it I found I was actually baking 5 days a week.
 Baking is so addictive that even at -3 degrees Celsius I can’t stop my shaking, shivering self going into the kitchen. Through my window I can see the snow clad mountains. For anyone who loves hills and dales this is a heart-warming (though body numbing) sight. And the icing on the cake (literally) is the warm baked smell of cakes and breads. 

How many ways can you bake a chocolate cake? A number of ways, it turns out. With vinegar too!! This is a Sour Chocolate Cake and the sourness comes from the use of vinegar which actually complements the bittersweet chocolate. I enjoyed eating it and you must enjoy baking it.

Ingredients

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
¾ cup shortening
¼ cup butter
1 tsp baking soda
½ cup cocoa powder
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ cup milk
1 ½ tsp vinegar
Mix the milk and vinegar and let sit for some time until it curdles slightly. 
Preheat the oven at 170 degrees Celsius. Whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon and baking soda. 
Mix together shortening, butter and ½ cup water to a boil. Mix in the cocoa powder and cook for 5 minutes, whisking all the time.
 Cool slightly. Add the milk mix and the beaten eggs. Slowly fold in the flour mix. Bake for about 40 minutes. 


No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...