Sunday 9 November 2014

Eggless Caramel Cake

Eggless Caramel Cake








I have, since long, wanted to bake a caramel cake. I had many recipes handy. I would drool over the beautiful pictures of the cake. However the idea of making caramel was a little daunting. 
Turns out I was wrong. Making caramel was a cakewalk. What was difficult was stopping myself from licking the bowl clean. The flavour reminded me of certain toffees I used to have in childhood and I simply couldn’t stop myself from licking my fingers. 
The second most difficult thing was cutting the cake. I know I am not a professional baker but this cake turned out so beautiful, at least by my standards, that I had a hard time allowing anyone to eat it. 
The eggless cake turned out all soft and fluffy. Overall this was one baking experiment I was totally happy with. 

Ingredients

For the cake
2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
¼ cup cornstarch
2 tsp baking powder
1 ¼ cup powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup butter
½ cup oil
½ cup curd+ ½ tsp baking soda
½ tin milkmaid
1 cup milk
5 tbsp caramel sauce 9 ( the recipe for caramel sauce is also given below)

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Beat the sugar, butter, oil and vanilla essence well. It should become light and frothy. 
Add the curd to which ½ tsp baking soda has been mixed. Mix well. Add the milkmaid and caramel sauce and beat well. 
Sift together flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Now mix the flour and milk alternately, starting with flour and ending with the flour. The flour will be added in three batches and the milk in two batches.

Grease a 8” cake tin. Pour the batter in the cake tin and bake 30-50 minutes. 


For the caramel sauce
1 cup granulated white sugar
5 tbsp butter
½ cup cream

Put the sugar in a pan and put it on medium heat. Once the sugar starts caramelizing then add the butter. Keep on low flame and cook till the sugar melts. Do not stir. Take off the heat and add the cream and mix well till no lumps remain. 
Do not worry if you are still left with lumps. Put it back on low heat and cook. Keep stirring all the while and soon any lumps remaining will dissolve and the sauce will thicken. 


For the caramel frosting
1 cup whiling cream
½ cup caramel sauce

Whip the cream till soft peaks form. Add the caramel sauce and whip more. 


Your caramel frosting is ready. 


To assemble the cake

Once the cake is cool slice it in half. 


Spread a generous amount of icing on one half and put the other half on top. 




Cover the top and sides of the cake with frosting. 


Drizzle a bit of caramel sauce on the cake for decoration. 






No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...