Wednesday 5 November 2014

Steamed Orange Chocolate Cake

Steamed Orange Chocolate Cake





After one and half hour of badminton every day in the evening I somehow drag my tired body home. It is impossible for me to think of cooking anything for the evening. Sitting with a hot, steaming cup of tea in my hand, as I go through my recipe book, this steamed cake catches my eye. 

I have never eaten or baked a steamed cake. I wonder how it will turn out. The combination is a classic orange chocolate one. So what could go wrong?

 But do I steam it in a water bath? There are no oven temperatures mentioned. So maybe not an oven. And I don’t have a large enough pressure cooker.

 What to do? How about the momo steamer. I am an avid momo eater and I have a big enough steamer. So here goes or nothing. 

Its steamed cake today. 

And I wonder where I got the energy from!!!

Ingredients

¼ cup butter
½ cup sugar
½ cup milkmaid
2 tbsp orange juice
1 egg
½ tsp vanilla essence
½ cup flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda

Mix together butter, sugar, milkmaid and orange juice in a pan and put it on medium heat. Stir till the sugar dissolves. Cool it a little. 
Beat the egg with the vanilla essence and add to the cooled milkmaid mixture. 
Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Add to the pan. 
Grease a 5 inch springform pan. Pour the batter in the baking pan and steam for 40 minutes. 


The cake was delicious. It was so unlike a normal cake. It didn't rise much and had the texture of pudding. It was gooey, chocolatey and stick to your teeth rich. 



No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...