Tuesday 4 November 2014

Kale Chane ki sabzi

Kale Chane ki sabzi



I remember when I was a kid we used to travel in sleeper class in trains. The best thing I used to like about train journeys was the different kinds of food and other stuff that were sold in the compartments. It might be anything from local sweets, toffees, candies, samosas, sandwiches, jhaalmuri etc.

 The thing I liked best was the kala chana. They were simply boiled and mixed with chopped onions, tomatoes, green chillies and chaat masala. It would be sold in newspaper cones with another piece of folded newspaper acting as the spoon. 
It was such a simple dish yet I have never been able to recreate it to my satisfaction. As my mom would point out that special flavour used to come from all the dust and grime but whatever the case that taste still eludes me. I guess some memories are better left undisturbed or the magic will be lost. 

I always cook kale chane ki sabzi as an ode to that childhood memory.

Ingredients

1 cup kala chana, soaked overnight
½ tsp baking soda
1 onion, sliced fine
¼ cup tomato puree
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp chana masala
1 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste

Pressure cook the soaked chana dal with some salt, turmeric and baking soda. 
Heat some oil. Add the cumin seeds. 
Add the ginger paste and sliced onions. Saute till the onions change colour. 
Add the tomato puree, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, chana masala and salt. 
Cook till the oil starts leaving the sides. Add the masala mix to the pressure cooker in which you boiled the chana. If required add some water.
Cover and simmer for 20 minutes till you get a thick gravy. 



No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...