Monday 26 May 2014

Healthy Home made Granola

Healthy Home made Granola




I am an erratic eater. I don’t have huge meals and so I get hunger pangs all the time. My friend Deepti makes this amazing Granola that is nourishing yet healthy. Helps overcome the sugar craving too.

So I decided to raid my own pantry and come up with ingredients that I could use. Turned out I had pretty interesting things like Rice crispies and Flax seeds which I would not eat otherwise. 

So basically in this Home Made Granola I have thrown in all and sundry that I could find in my kitchen. Honey and brown sugar help bind the different components together but it still gives a crumbly texture. This is not like the packaged Granola bars you find. This is more homely and definitely worth making.

There is no hard and fast recipe for my Home Made Granola. Basic idea is to add few healthy ingredients together and bind them with something sweet.

OHH forgot one thing! I also added roasted Gehun/Wheat and that too salted one. You get these easily in your neighborhood grocery shop or Sweet shop. These are the healthy snacks.

Ingredients
½ coconut
½ cup cashews
½ cup apricots
½ cup cranberries
2 cups oats
2 cups museli
100 gm dates, chopped
1 cup almonds, sliced
1 cup kishmish
1 cup rice crispies
½ cup roasted Gehun/Wheat
¼ cupsesame seeds
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp vanilla sugar
500 gm honey
1 ½ cups brown sugar

So the first step is to roast few of the things.
Slice the coconut into small bits and roast.




I already had cashew bits and so I didn’t need to break them into small pieces. Roast the cashews.


Chop the cranberries, apricots and dates.



Roast the sliced almonds.



Roast the oats in the oven for 8 minutes.


Take the flax seeds and kishmish.


Take the Rice crispies and roasted gehun.


I had half a packet of Kellogg’s Muesli.
Now mix together all the ingredients.




Now melt the honey and brown sugar. Bring it to boil and add to the Granola mix. Use your hands to mix the whole thing properly.


Take a Swiss Roll tin and grease well with olive oil. Spread the granola mix on the tin. Pat down well with wet hands.


Preheat the oven at 170 degrees Celsius. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool. 


The mixture will not be very firm. You can cut out pieces and shape them into little bars for dainty pickings. 


Or you can just take a spoon and scoop to your heart’s content.



No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...