Tuesday 27 May 2014

Utterly Butterly Cake

Utterly Butterly Cake



This is a fine textured Butter Cake. It’s simple and lovely, as most simple things in life are. The key element here is beating the butter and sugar really well. Keep tasting as you beat and soon you will feel the difference in the texture of the sugar. From gritty it will go down to super fine. This is the point where you have to use a lot of muscle power. I creamed the butter and sugar for a good ten minutes. 

I learnt a few tricks while baking this cake. I will describe them as I go along.

Ingredients

2 ¼ cup cake flour (Don’t worry we will make cake flour right in our kitchen)
300 gms butter, unsalted, room temperature
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup fine sugar
4 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla essence

First step is to make cake flour. 

Cake flour has starch added to it. So the substitution is easy. For 1 cup of cake flour take 1 cup of all purpose flour, take out 2 tbsp from the flour and add 2 tbsp cornflour to it. 

So here I measured out 2 cups of all purpose flour, took out 4 tbsp flour and added 4 tbsp cornflour. For the rest ¼ cup I simply replaced ¼ tbsp flour with cornflour. Another important step here is to sieve the flour mix at least 5 times because you want the flour and cornflour to mix really well.

Take a large pan and beat the butter well. Now add the sugar and pull up a chair because you have to really work on it. Whip the butter and sugar well for about 10 minutes. The mix should look like little white clouds. 


Now add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. 


This you can do gently only making sure that the eggs are mixed properly. Add the vanilla essence.


Fold in the flour gently.
Preheat the oven at 160 degrees Celsius.
Pour the batter into a greased pan. Smoothen the top with a spatula.


Now when I finished pouring my pan I realized that the pan was almost full and the cake might spill over during baking. 

That is when I decided to use this super trick I recently learned. I folded two sheets of newspaper into four folds, wrapped it around the tin and stuck it together with a cello tape. 


This prevents the cake from spilling over, keeps the texture soft and doesn't allow doming of the cake. I must say I was really happy with the result.


Bake for 70 minutes. After the first 20 minutes I gently placed a foil on top of the cake to prevent overbrowning from the heating rods on top.



Cool the cake and enjoyyyy!!!!


No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...