Tuesday 6 May 2014

Rice Ubje

Rice Ubje


I am sure all of you must have these recipe diaries that you have been maintaining for years. Mine is a dog eared worn out sad looking thing filled with precious recipes. Noted down from newspapers, magazines, cookery shows, begged and borrowed from friends and aunts I have lost the antecedents of these recipes.
 I came across this recipe for Rice Ubje but when I searched on the net there were no hits. Does a dish of this name exist? Or was it someone’s invention? I have no idea but the list of ingredients sounded interesting and it seemed apt for a light dinner. Made it and loved it!!

Ingredients

 1 cup rice
2 onions, chopped
1 potato, cubed
¼ cup chana dal
¼ cup groundnuts
½ cup chopped coriander leaves
10 curry leaves
2 dry red chillies
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp asafetida
Juice of ½ lemon
1 tsp sugar
 Salt to taste

Wash and soak the rice. Soak the groundnuts and dal for at least half an hour.

Heat oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida, curry leaves, turmeric powder and dry red chillies. Add the onions and potatoes. 



Sauté well for 2-3 minutes. Add the dal and groundnuts.



Now you can either make this in an automatic rice cooker or continue in the karahi. I made it in the rice cooker. Heat some ghee and sauté the rice. Now add the dal mixture. Fry for a minute. 


Season with salt and sugar. Add half the chopped coriander leaves, water, cover and cook till done. You can do the same in the karahi.  Garnish with chopped coriander and lemon juice. 



No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...