Tuesday 6 May 2014

Palak Paneer

Palak Paneer


I am forever indebted to Popeye The Sailor Man who made spinach a glamorous dish for my son. I have never had any problems with him eating spinach, in any form. Palak Paneer is a very basic but evergreen dish. 

There  are many variations to the dish. You can add onion and garlic. You can make it without them. Add ginger and tomato if you want. I have made this particular recipe a bit rich for parties.

Ingredients

1 bunch spinach
2 garlic pods
1 large onion, puréed
1 large tomato puréed
5-6 garlic pods, chopped
1 tsp garam masala powder
½ tsp cumin seeds
Salt to taste

Blanch the spinach and 2 garlic pods in boiling water. Drain and reserve the stock. 



When the spinach cools down blend it in a mixer.


Heat some oil/ghee. Add the cumin seeds. Add the chopped garlic and sauté. Now add the puréed onion. Fry for a while and then add the puréed tomato.


 Cook till oil starts leaving the sides. Add the garam masala. 


Now add the puréed spinach. 


Mix well and add a cup of the reserved stock. Season with salt. Cover and simmer for some time. Now add the paneer pieces. Simmer some more. 


Your palak paneer is ready. You can garnish with grated paneer or fresh cream.




No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...