Tuesday 13 May 2014

Mango Cheesecake Pudding

Mango Cheesecake Pudding


I have always had a fascination for Cheesecake. The delicate soft texture is just out of this world. But I never could think of making one because I could never lay my hands on a tub of cream cheese. That is the disadvantage of being posted to a very small town.

Thanks to the group Chefs at Large I came across some great chefs who were very generous in giving tips about how to go about making cream cheese at home. Tried it out and was very happy with the results. That, however, is another thread as I will also upload how to make cream cheese at home.

I decided to start with a bang and planned on making cheesecake for an important party at home. The only hitch was that there were a large number of guests and I felt if I made a traditional cheesecake cutting it into so many slices would become a problem. So I decided to make a Mango Cheesecake Pudding with individual servings in a bowl.

One other thing I changed in the recipe was use of different ingredients. The recipe called for a combination of cream cheese and milkmaid. Cream cheese is to be made with about 2 liters of Amul cream. I opted for a healthier version and used a combination of hung curd, homemade cottage cheese/paneer and a little bit of homemade cream cheese.

The list of ingredients might not sound too precise because I kept improvising throughout..:)

Ingredients

200 ml Amul cream
2 tbsp vinegar
Curd made from 1 liter of milk
Paneer made from 1 ½ liter of milk
5 mangoes, pureed
½ cup castor sugar ( I had to use this because my mangoes were not sweet )

First make the cream cheese. Mix together Amul cream and vinegar. Let stand at room temperature overnight. Then put in a muslin cloth to drain the liquid. This has to be done in the fridge overnight.

Similarly make the paneer and curd and leave it to drain for a few hours.

Now churn all three , i.e., paneer, hung curd and cream cheese in the mixer. Add the pureed mangoes and castor sugar. The mixture will be quite thick. Pour the mango mix into individual serving bowls and keep in the fridge overnight.





To make the mango glaze

2 mangoes, pureed
1.5 tbsp gelatin

Sprinkle the gelatin over ¼ cup water. Let it stand
Heat a pan and cook the pureed mango till the raw smell goes. Cool it.


Heat the gelatin mixture till it becomes a transparent liquid. Add to the mango puree.  
Pour the mango glaze over the cheesecake mix. Garnish with chopped mango and mint leaves.




No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...