Wednesday 21 May 2014

Healthy Oats Cake

Healthy Oats Cake



Ok an honest confession..for me baking means lots of butter and flour, lots of icing and chocolates and the quintessential baking aroma permeating my house. 

However with people getting more health conscious and avoiding fats and carbs I also decided to come up with something healthy. 

I have two packets of oats sitting at home and no takers because frankly speaking oats taste horrible however much you might try to dress it up. I, somehow, have very healthy intentions but fail to follow them through. So, this time, I decided to try and make a healthy cake.

The first ingredient that came to my mind was oats. No problem there. Plenty in my kitchen. I took a cup of oats and ran it in the mixer to get a fine powder. Added some baking powder to it also. Now this takes care of my flour substitute.

But I balked at the idea of no butter and oil. Still I decided to see this recipe through.

Now egg substitute is easy. Just add curd mixed with baking soda. Check.

Hmmmm sugar!!! Artificial sweetener was an option but I have been told those are not good for your health. So I compromised a little and used brown sugar which is a tad better than white sugar. I used 1 cup of brown sugar which I felt can be reduced a little.

To add to the flavor a added dried cranberries which are a good source of anti oxidants. They are also known as “super food”.

The main problem came while clicking a pic because keeping with the health theme I could not use whipped cream, any frosting or even a sprinkling of icing sugar to beautify the cake. So here is the plain Jane but totally delicious Healthy Oats Cake.

P.S. I used the smallest cake tin I had because I had no idea how it would turn out.

Ingredients

1 cup oats
¾ cup brown sugar
1 ¼ cup curd
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup dried cranberries, chopped ( if you don’t have these you can use raisins)

Churn the oats in the mixer to make a fine powder.
Add baking soda to the curd and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Mix oats, baking powder and brown sugar. Now add the curd and mix well.
Preheat oven at 170 degrees Celsius.
Pour the batter in the greased cake tin and bake for 20 -25 minutes.


No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...