Saturday 1 December 2018

Apple Upside Down Cake




I am back again with my apple woes. Ripe pink apples sit on my dining table for days and slowly turn into grandma apples, all wrinkled and grey. Why do we not et apples???? Some days I  would be determined to make my family eat healthy. So everyone gathers at the table. I shoot death stares and make them eat an apple each. Snow White looked happier biting in the poisoned apple. My family looks as if I have sent them to the gallows. Off with their head I say!!!
So finally I resort to adding them into cakes. Camouflage!!


Ingredients

¾ cup butter, softened
1 ½ cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup milk
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon powder
3 apples, peeled and sliced
For the sauce
¼ cup butter
1 cup brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Keep a 9” cake tin ready.
Make the sauce first. Heat the butter and add the brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Stir for a minute and pour into the cake tin. Arrange the apple slices in the tin.
Cream the butter and sugar till pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla essence. Whisk the eggs with the milk. Sift together flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Add the flour and milk alternately, starting and ending with flour. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 50 minutes. Cool the cake on a wire rack for about an hour. Turn the tin upside down. The cake will slide out easily. It tastes best with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...