Saturday 1 December 2018

Yellow Marmalade Cake




There has been a long hiatus in my baking. For the last two months life has been hectic. Packing and moving to a new place, setting up home, adjusting, compromising. And in midst of all this chaos my baking stopped. But I cant live without cake. So I had to buy cakes to satiate my soul. I realised, again, how bad the store bought cakes are. Sure if you go to a gourmet patisserie you will get wonderful bakes. But the everyday bakeries and mass produced commercially packaged stuff is horrible.
All my stuff was still packed. I had no weighing scale, no butter paper, no whipping cream, no spatula. But I had to bake. So i bought a jar of marmalade, some flour and eggs. I had one basic round tin with me and my trusty oven. I looked up Julia Child’s recipe, tweaked it a bit and finally let out a sigh of relief. Life is good again!


Ingredients

1 ¼ cups flour
2 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp melted butter
2/3 cups sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp orange marmalade
2 tsp sugar

Beat the egg whites till foamy. Add the 2 tsp sugar and whip till soft peaks form. Keep aside.
Sift together flour, cornflour and baking powder. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar till pale and frothy. Add the marmalade and whip some more. Now add ¼ of butter, mix, then ¼ of flour, mix and then ¼ of egg whites and fold. Slowly incorporate these three in the same way in four batches. Do ot whip or over mix. The egg whites should not deflate.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a 8” cake tin. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 30 minutes. After the initial 20 minutes cover the cake tin with an aluminium foil so that the top does not get burnt.



No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...