Wednesday 5 December 2018

Chai Spiced Tea Cake







I am a tea addict. I drink copious amount of tea. And not the snooty variety either. Not those jasmine or camomile infused lightly flavoured warm water varieties. I drink the typical Indian chai. With loads of milk and boiled to a nice nutty brown colour. It goes best with loads of sugar too but since I do not have a sweet tooth I avoid that part. For the western palette this kind of tea is something exotic. So you can get to hear the word Chai-tea used very commonly while it sounds absurd to our ears.
O came across this Chai spiced cake in one of my favorite books by King Arthur Flour. I have home made chai masala lying around at home (tea addict, remember!!). so I decied to try out this cake with loads of chai masala added to it. If you do not have chai masala then you can also use powdered cardamom, cloves, ginger , cinnamon and nutmeg powder. That sounds like too much work? Then simply use the masala chai premixes that are easily available nowadays.
The cake turned out awesome. It had that slight flavour of chai masala that was not overpowering. So first experiment was successful.


Ingredients

1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder
A pinch of baking soda
½ cup brown sugar
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp oil
2 tbsp milk
1 egg
½ cup curd
2 tbsp chai masala

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Grease and dust a bundt tin.
Beat butter, oil, milk and brown sugar till pale and frothy. Add egg and beat again. Add the curd and beat. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and chai masala. Fold into the batter. Pour batter into the bundt tin and bake for  50-55 minutes.



No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...