Wednesday 5 December 2018

Eggless Steamed Bread Cake





I am a very traditional baker. I prefer using flour and eggs. I prefer baking in a large oven. I prefer cakes that are rich in calories. Cakes that have lots of butter. However during my classes I get lots of requests for eggless, flourless, ovenless bakes. Living in a metropolitan city space is a big constraint for most people and many do not prefer keeping ovens at home. So they look for simple solutions that they can whip up with the basic ingredients sin their kitchen. Baking in a pressure cooker is a very common method. Honestly speaking I have never tried that.
Then I saw this youtube video by HomeCooking about a bread cake that is steamed in an Idli steamer. The cake in the video had volume, was soft and spongy and looked absolutely delectable.
I was sceptical. Really!! Can we bake a cake in a steamer and have it turn out so perfect!!!
And believe me it did! The most perfect cake! Since it is steamed it had a slight heavy texture and was not as airy as those baked in an oven. Yet this is one cake I will definitely bake again and again. The best part is the ease of baking. Just dump together all the ingredients and put to steam on extremely ow flame while you go about doing your chores. I spend more time and energy on the traditional cakes than I spent on this one.
This cake gets a 5 star from me!!!


Ingredients

1 cup bread crumbs
½ cup maida
½ cup castor sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp melted butter
Some nuts for garnish

Mix together bread crumbs, maida, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Add the milk, essence and butter. Grease and dust a baking tin with flour. Make sure that the baking tin fits snugly inside the steamer. Pour the batter in the tin and garnish with chopped nuts.  Pour enough water in the steamer so that the stand is covered. Switch on the flame and bring the water to boil. Place the cake tin inside, lower flame and put on the lid. Let the cake steam for an hour. Switch off the flame and let the cake cool inside the steamer.



No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...