Saturday 1 December 2018

Sorse Chingri /Prawns in Mustard sauce



What is the height of your fish obsession? Mine is a bit funny and weird. Staying at 11,000 feet it is very difficult to get hold of fish. Even if I am able to get some it is mostly “rahu”. For a Bengali those ice packed days old rahu is merely pedestrian fare.
Although Delhi is just 50 minutes away by flight yet it seems like a different universe. Home reminds me of all the delectable fish dishes prepared regularly. My mom keeps the fridge stocked with at least five different varieties of fish which keep getting changed every ten days or so. When she came over to visit me I pestered her into getting at least five kilograms of fish. Those were the best two weeks I had relishing fish after such a long time. Then again came a season of fishless drought.
So when I went home for a week to celebrate Durga Pooja my main objective was to get some fish again. I brought back 7 kgs of fish and I had to ditch most of my clothes at home so that I don’t have to pay for excess baggage. My friends laughed at me. I relished the yummy fish. Bengali genes, you see!!!
This is one of the dishes I prepared from that cache !!


Ingredients

250 gms prawns, cleaned and marinated in salt and turmeric
5 tbsp yellow mustard
1 large tomato
A pinch of salt
2 green chillies, slit
½ tsp kalonji/Nigella seeds
½ tsp turmeric powder
Pinch of sugar
Salt to taste
¼ cup mustard oil

Soak the mustard seeds in warm water for half n hour. cut the tomato in four large pieces. Make a paste of mustard seeds and tomato adding a pinch of salt while grinding.
Heat mustard oil to smoking point. Lower heat and add the prawns. Saute for a few minutes and take them out. Add slit green chillies and kalonji to the same oil. Add the mustad seeds paste, salt, sugar and turmeric powder. Cook on low heat till the oil starts leaving the sides. Add a cup of water and bring to a boil. Add the prawns, cover and cook for 10 minutes.



No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...