Saturday 1 December 2018

Super Moist Cocoa Mocha Cupcakes





Some recipes make me go into the “doubting Thomas” mode (or will I be a doubting Annie?)
I am like “Really!!! Will this work?? The batter looks a bit fishy!! Hmmmm!”
The same was with this batter. This is not how I conventionally make a cake batter. The first half of the batter was really weird looking. A thick puddle that was not holding its shape. It was only with the later addition that the batter took shape. The recipe source is from Willow bird. I have tried out a few of their recipes and they worked pretty well. So I went ahead with a little faith.
One important thing to note is that baking time is very important in the recipe. One batch of my cupcakes turned out a bit heavy because I have overbaked for 5 minutes. The second batch was absolutely soft and super delicious. So if you are trying this out please do a small batch first to test out the temperature of your oven. As I have always reiterated each oven temperature is different.


Ingredients

2  cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ cups sugar ( you can easily use 2 cups sugar. 1 ½ cups will keep the cupcakes mildly sweet)
½ cup butter or 100 gms Amul butter
½ cup vegetable oil
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup water
2 tbsp strong coffee powder ( I have used Davidoff)
½ cup buttermilk ( I have used ½ cup milk + 1 tsp vinegar left for 10 minutes)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
Few choco chips to sprinkle

Preheat oven to 170 degrees. This recipe will make about 18-0 cupcakes depending on the size of your cupcake liner. So get the cupcake liners ready on a cupcake tin.
Whisk together sifted flour, baking soda and sugar. Keep aside.
Put butter, oil, water, cocoa powder, coffee powder and bring to a boil. Make sure the cocoa powder has no lumps.
Now add this mixture to the flour mix. Whisk well. It will form a thick muddy batter.
Whisk together eggs, buttermilk and essence. Now add to the batter and gently mix. Do not, I repeat, do not overmix or whisk too hard. Use gentle folding .
Pour into cupcake liners. Sprinkle choco chips on top. Bake for 20 minutes. Your super moist cupcakes are ready.
A lot of the taste depends on the quality of cocoa powder and coffee powder.
Recipe source : Willow Bird Baking




No comments:

Banana Walnut Choco Chip Cake

Though I bake everyday, it has been ages since I posted anything new on my blog. Last year saw lots of changes ...